|Bugs:||Report a bug|
|IfcOpenShell is a C++ and Python open source software library that helps users and software developers to work with the IFC file format. You can see all articles related articles in the Category:IfcOpenShell.|
IfcOpenShell is an open source (LGPL 3) software library that helps developers work with the industry foundation classes (IFC) file format. The IFC file format can be used to describe building and construction data. The format is commonly used for building information modelling (BIM), for example, mechanical loading analysis, and thermal and energy efficiency studies. IfcOpenShell is primarily a collection of C++ libraries, however, as it has Python bindings, it can be integrated with programs like FreeCAD and Blender.
IfcOpenshell contains multiple tools which can be used independently or together :
A command line tool to convert IFC to different format including :
|.obj||WaveFront OBJ||(a .mtl file is also created)|
|.dae||Collada||Digital Assets Exchange|
|.glb||glTF||Binary glTF v2.0|
|.stp||STEP||Standard for the Exchange of Product Data|
|.igs||IGES||Initial Graphics Exchange Specification|
|.xml||XML||Property definitions and decomposition tree|
|.svg||SVG||Scalable Vector Graphics (2D floor plan)|
|.ifc||IFC-SPF||Industry Foundation Classes|
You can pass multiple options. Type
IfcConvert --help to learn more (considering it is installed on your system).
A command-line tool which allow to process geometry in a crash safe manner using a child process with dynamic linking.
A python API to manipulate IFC. See IfcOpenShell code examples. Comes with many utility functions for geolocation, data extraction, IFC query filtering, and more.
IFC Clash detection using the flexible collision library.
Conversion of IFC files into input files for Code_Aster structural simulation software.
Conversion of IFC-SPF data into SpreadsheetML format for the COBie MVD. Includes error logging of invalid data and support for open format alternatives like CSV and ODS. See also: BlenderBIM_and_COBie
Import and export support of IFC data to and from CSV files using a custom IFC query language. See also: BlenderBIM_IFCCSV
Compares two IFC files with settings to check geometry or particular data relationships. Produces a parseable diff in JSON.
Provides a standard interface for users to easily apply predetermined "recipes" to manipulate IFC data without needing to have any technical knowledge. See forum topic for a example how to run it. https://community.osarch.org/discussion/10/ifcpatch-tool-now-available#latest
Provides an extension to the Blender Sverchok add-on for visual programming nodes for IFC within the Blender environment.
Provides a way to specify BIM exchange requirements using natural human language and audit IFC files to check if they comply with the requirements.
Replaced by BlenderBIM Add-on.
This plugin seems to not be developed anymore. It was an Ifc importer for 3ds Max.
Softwares powered by ifcopenshell
- BIMxBEM : import IfcRelSpaceBoundary, IfcSpace and related building elements geometry and data
- BlenderBIM Add-on : ifcopenshell-python - import/export, multi-core geometry processing and more (Winner of 2020 buildingSMART Awards in Technology)
- FreeCAD : ifcopenshell-python - import/export Parametric 3D modeler allowing you to easily modify your design.
- ifc-pipeline : IfcConvert / ifcopenshell - python
- Tridify (Epic Megagrants recipient) Stream large & complex BIMs from the Cloud. A BIM Communication Service for all stakeholders with communication to issue management software.
- BIMServer enables you to store and manage the information of a construction (or other building related) project.
- xeokit-sdk An open source 3D graphics SDK from xeolabs for BIM and AEC. Built to view huge models in the browser. Used by industry leaders.
- Augin.app Publish and view AEC content in augmented reality in the environment on a 1:1 scale.
- BIMData.io Provides an integrated viewer capable of loading several tens of thousands of objects.
- Areo SMART Facilities Management
- TriDyme TriDyme helps construction's companies to develop their own cloud-based (online) applications.
- StreamBIM (previously known as Rendra.io) (Winner of 2020 buildingSMART Awards in Construction via Project Celsius)
- RengaSoftware - used in various operations internally
IfcOpenShell is also used in university courses around the world.
- Fachhochschule Nordwestschweiz FHNW (University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland)
- MSc-education of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Construction & Robotics tracks at RWTH Aachen University and TU Eindhoven
IfcOpenShell may be packaged in different Linux repositories, ready to install and use; or it can be packaged together with some programs that use it, for example, FreeCAD.
In other cases you may get one of the stand-alone, pre-compiled distributions, or you may download and compile the source code yourself.
To learn more about installing IfcOpenShell, visit the page in the FreeCAD wiki: IfcOpenShell.
- Visit the IfcOpenShell Category on this website.
- Visit the IfcOpenShell Academy: http://academy.ifcopenshell.org/category/ifcopenshell/
- Visit the IfcOpenShell forum: https://sourceforge.net/p/ifcopenshell/discussion/
- learn with Jupyter Notebook coding examples from:
https://github.com/jakob-beetz/IfcOpenShellScriptingTutorial (by Jakob Beetz)
https://github.com/bimfag/intro-python-bim (by Sigve Martin Pettersen and Hans Martin Eikerol)