FreeCAD is an open-source, extensible, parametric 2D and 3D modeler primarily designed for mechanical engineering but which can be used in many different fields like machining, CNC routing, 3D printing, static and thermal finite element analysis, and of course, architecture and construction. Parametric modeling allows you to modify your design by going back into your model history and changing its parameters.
- License: GPL-2.0-only
- Website: https://www.freecadweb.org
- Wiki: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/
- Source: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD
- Donate: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Donate
FreeCAD uses the OpenCASCADE Technology (OCCT) modelling kernel for the creation of 2D and 3D shapes, and is divided into "workbenches" that provide tools for specific domains.
- Part and PartDesign Workbenches provide tools for the creation of generic 3D models.
- Sketcher Workbench provides tools to create mathematically constrained 2D sketches that can be used for extrusion in Part and PartDesign.
- Draft Workbench provides tools to create parametric 2D objects in a plane.
- Arch Workbench builds on top of Draft, to create parametric 3D solids used in architecture, like walls, pillars, rebars, windows, doors, and roofs.
- TechDraw Workbench provides tools to create 2D projections of arbitrary 3D bodies in order to create technical drawings and documentation that can be exported as PDF.
- Reinforcement workbench is an external workbench that provides tools for Reinforcement Generation and Detailing. This workbench provides an interface and presets for the creation of common rebar types.
The base program can be extended by custom macros and workbenches programmed in Python, which allows defining new parametric objects as well as more complex tools for working with the model.
- The BIM Workbench builds on top of Draft and Arch, and provides even more tools for building modelling.
- The Reinforcement Workbench extends the rebar tools of the Arch workbench to create even more complex rebar patterns.
The FreeCAD project is under constant development, and it has a community of users and developers who discuss and help each other in the FreeCAD forum.
- FreeCAD BIM migration guide
- Main website: https://www.freecadweb.org
- Documentation wiki: https://wiki.freecadweb.org
- Community forum: https://forum.freecadweb.org
- The BIM Workbench
- Architectural modelling with FreeCAD from the FreeCAD wiki
- FreeCAD BIM development news is a blog by Yorik Van Havre, one of the main developers of FreeCAD and author of the Draft, Arch, and BIM workbenches, detailing the progress of the BIM tools in FreeCAD
- About OpenCasCade Technology
- FreeCAD user Thomas-Neemann has a YouTube channel showing FreeCAD for point clouds, steel & wood frame buildings
|This page describes a software project from our AEC Free Software directory|
|This page is FreeCAD documentation. Full documentation is available at the FreeCAD documentation wiki. All articles in the OSArch wiki related to FreeCAD can be seen in the FreeCAD Category|