Interested in OSArch initiatives, and why OSArch is so important to the design, construction, operation, and recycling of the built environment? Read more
- Post questions in our Community Forum
- Join our Monthly Meetup show & tell event
- Donate to sustain our volunteers
- See past projects using free software and see Featured images
- See more ways to contribute to OSArch
Right now, we're looking in particular for volunteers to help with these things. If you're up for it, post on the forums and let us know!
- We need someone to help manage the OSArch Twitter account.
- We need someone to help design a curriculum to teach about AEC tools and OpenBIM concepts.
- We need help with writing more wiki articles! Anybody can edit!
Explore Free Software
Did you know there's a growing list of over 100 free tools to help you do your job? Unlike proprietary software, free software will never make your digital work incompatible, obsolete, or force you into subscriptions. See the AECO Free Software Directory.
Begin your journey:
- Learn freeform 3D modeling and BIM model creation with BlenderBIM Add-on
- Learn solid 3D modeling and BIM model creation with FreeCAD
- Learn structural analysis with Code Aster
- Learn environmental analysis with Ladybug Tools
- Learn geospatial analysis with QGIS
- Manage a project with OpenProject
Do you want to dig deep in to AEC tech?
- Learn visual node-based parametric design with Sverchok
- Learn OpenBIM & IFC programming using IfcOpenShell
Use Open Standards
Open technology and standards helps our digital tools interoperate and protect you against data expiry. See what's available at the Open Data Standards Directory.
- Learn about OpenBIM
- Get sample files of Open Data
- Learn about relevant Standards organizations
- Read Academic Papers and external articles
Learn about Industry Foundation Class (IFC) data concepts:
- An introduction to IFC
- What is an IFC class
- How is an IFC project defined
- How does IFC store attributes and properties
- How spaces are broken down in IFC
- How materials are stored in IFC
- How georeferencing data is stored in IFC
- How to group sub objects in IFC
- How IFC integrates with classification systems
Delivering OpenBIM for facility management?
Stuck with proprietary software? Learn best practices and workarounds to produce industry standards compliant data.
- How to set up Revit for OpenBIM
- How to export correct IFC classes from Revit
- How to optimise IFC geometry output from Revit
- How to export classification data from Revit
- How to geolocate models from Revit
- How to define an OpenBIM project in Revit
- How to organise IFC spaces in Revit
- How to define IFC construction types in Revit
- List of known invalid IFC practices
|"Open-source software (OSS) is a type of computer software in which source code is released under a license in which the copyright holder grants users the rights to use, study, change, and distribute the software to anyone and for any purpose." -Wikipedia|